Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tagging: Getting found on Etsy

One of the complaints I hear often from sellers is that it is so hard to be found on etsy. I agree that there is a TON of stuff on there and it is sometimes hard to stand out in a crowd, BUT there are some simple things you can do to maximize your chances of being found. The very first and easiest is to be a good TAGGER. You get 14 tags on each of your items and if you are not using them all then you are not being a good tagger. Check out this article on Etsy containing great tagging tips. I include things like " mom, dad, wedding, housewarming, green, eco chic, etc, etc" I try to put myself in a shoppers shoes. Check out this item of mine and the tags I put on it for ideas.

Etsy also tries to do lots of promotions. Often to participate all you have to do is tag your item with a specific tag. For instance, Etsy wanted to feature earth friendly products and asked sellers who were interested in participating to tag their item with 'earth tones'. This increases your likelyhood of your stuff getting seen by the etsy admin's and featured in an 'etsy finds' email. (By the way, I was featured in one and got over 3,500 unique visitors to my shop in one day!!!)
These promotions can often be found in the storque. Glance through it now and again to see if there is something your items fit with.

Happy Tagging!!

No comments:

Post a Comment